Lowell Artistic Bike Racks
A project co-sponsored by DIY Lowell and the Lowell Bike Coalition
Home * Call for Artists * Application Form * Design Requirements (pdf) * GoFundMe * Contact
The following Call for Artists may also be downloaded as a PDF here.
Call for Artists
We are seeking Design Proposals for functional artistic bike racks that will accommodate 6 to 8 bicycles. This competition is open to artists and design professionals, as well as community members with an eye for fun and functionality. Everyone is encouraged to participate. All complete submissions will be considered.
A Selection Committee representing the Lowell National Historical Park, the City of Lowell, cycling advocates and local business owners will choose TWO WINNING DESIGNS* to be located at the Mogan Cultural Center on French Street and Mill No. 5 on Jackson Street.
- Design must represent Lowell’s rich history and culture
- Rack must accommodate 6 to 8 bicycles properly secured to the frame
- Design must adhere to the specifications found here (pdf)
- For more detailed specifications, please refer to: http://www.apbp.org/
- Designs that incorporate recycled or historic “found materials” will be given primary consideration
- Applicant must submit a graphic representation and description of project, including proposed materials and dimensions.
- Chosen applicants may fabricate their own design, or alternately, the Committee will assist in pairing the designer with a fabricator.
Project Time Line
Submission Deadline: January 6, 2016
Winners Announced: January 18, 2016
Completion/Delivery: April, 2016
Unveiling/Dedication: May, 2016
Dates are subject to change at the discretion of the Selection Committee. Please see this site for any changes.
*The Committee reserves the right to reject or accept all submissions at their discretion. Designs that are not selected, or that accommodate fewer than 6 bicycles, may be considered for future sites, to be determined by the City of Lowell in conjunction with the Lowell Bike Rack Committee.
Submission Information: Lowell Artistic Bicycle Racks
Application, Procedure, and Program Guidelines
- The Applicant will be credited with the design, however, ownership of the finished piece will be turned over to the site sponsor
- Applicants are required to deliver rack ready for mounting to site. Racks will be designed with a base plate mount.
- The rack will be installed at no cost to the applicant.
- Any costs accrued by applicant over the agreed upon budget will be considered a donation to the site sponsor
- The project will be completed in two phases: 1) submission and selection of design proposals and 2) fabrication and installation. Chosen applicants may fabricate their own design, or alternately, the Lowell Bike Rack Committee will assist in pairing the designer with a fabricator.
- Final design selection will be at the discretion of the Selection Committee and will be subject to review by the Lowell Historic Board where applicable.
Rack Guidelines and Specifications
NOTE: A list of detailed technical requirements can be found here. The following is a summary:
- Bike rack is located in a designated historic district; designs should blend with area architecture and historical features.
- Racks must support bicycle upright in its frame in two places.
- Must enable the frame and one wheel of the bicycle to be secured with a standard U-lock.
- Racks must be fabricated using durable materials suitable for outdoor installation with little or no maintenance for at least 20 years and shall not include any dangerous surfaces or materials.
- Installations must be secured in a manner so that they will not create potential hazards to the public or surrounding property.
- Any deterioration, vandalism, and other maintenance issues shall be addressed in a timely manner by the sponsoring organization. Failure to properly maintain the installation will result in notification for removal.
Each Entry Must Include the Following
- A pdf file of the design proposal in 8.5”x11” format.
- A graphic representation of the proposed format and installation is required. Acceptable forms might include photographic images of existing work to be installed, computer-generated simulations, line drawings, color renderings, or other means of graphic representation of the proposed installation that adequately conveys the nature of the artist’s proposal.
- If the submitting applicants plan to fabricate their own rack, an itemized budget summary must be included with the submission.
- A Proposal Narrative (maximum of 3000 characters, about 500 words) accompanying the graphic representation that includes:
- The proposed format, installation and (if appropriate) location
- Discussion of materials to be used and methods of construction and installation
- An explanation of how the design fits within the context of Lowell, and the specific location
- A description of how the design represents Lowell’s history and/or culture
- A brief biography (maximum of 1500 characters, about 250 words) that describes your interest in Lowell, bicycling and art.
- Name, Address, Phone Number, and Email Address included on all submitted documents.
Upon announcement of the winning designs, the selection committee will award a $500 prize, and up to $1000 for materials. The remaining $1000 will be dispersed to the fabricator upon completion and delivery of the final product, slated for April, 2016.
Please submit applications via our application form by 11:59pm, January 6, 2015.
Please address questions to LowellBikeRacks@gmail.com or call 408-799-4001.